I’m looking throughout Ambleside Online and getting a lot more comfortable adding things or substituting things, as needed.
Last year, in Year 7, Melody read Paul Brand’s Fearfully & Wonderfully Made, under the health section. It’s more a very beautiful, detailed devotional in many respects.
In year 8, there’s nothing to fill that intended role and I want something for my children here – health studies are very important to me for my family to invest in.
After reading over half of Protecting the Gift by Gavin de Becker right now and being a secondary survivor/victim, I’ve also been looking to add several books, deliberately into earlier years, as well, that address sexuality and bodily autonomy. This is a work in progress and I will come back and tweak this list as needed.
(could/should be used before year 1)
* The Right Touch: A Read-Aloud Story to Help Prevent Child Sexual Abuse
* It’s MY Body
Year 2 –
* God’s Design for Sex, book 1
Year 3 –
* God’s Design for Sex, book 2
Year 7 –
*Real Food Fermentation
Year 8 –
*Move Your DNA
*Practical Paleo or The Paleo Solution (I’m including one of these specifically because of our genetic defects and how many people with them respond wonderfully to a “Paleo” diet… I want my kids to know and prepare in advance)
Year 11 –
* Feelings: Buried Alive, Never Die
Teacher Reads –
* The Munchausen Complex : Socialization of Violence and Abuse
* Why Gender Matters
* The Well-Armored Child
* 14 minute TedX Talk: Growing Up in a Pornified Culture – It’s at the 5:25 mark that my heart shatters… the entire thing is very open about cultural sexual words, but needed to watch to understand we ALL take part in this
Do you have any health/bodily dignity resources that you’d love to recommend?